Holy speculums Batman – The Devonport Specliator is ONE YEAR OLD TODAY!
Incredible, unlikely and inappropriate as it may seem, The Speculator is celebrating its first birthday. Still waddling uncertainly in its nappies, with the inevitable rope of saliva down its shirt and its foot occasionally in its mouth, The Speculator has nevertheless seen off its first year in business.
Having worked, played and slept in a monochromatic kaleidoscope of work environments around the world, it has to be said that the last year has been one of the most enjoyable of The Speculator’s ever-stuttering and shall we say, fast changing career.
Barely able to hold down a job for more than 8 to 10 minutes since the age of 7, The Speculator has found comfort among the comments, words of support and overwhelmingly positive feedback that has graced the ersatz pages of this inappropriately-yellow bannered site.
How long this crazed venture will continue is hard to say; while local communities are on the brink of an online revolution that will one day prove The Speculator to be a genius and visionary, The Speculator itself is never far from the brink of penury.
Yes, dear reader, it hasn’t always been plain sailing. The Speculator has been the occasional target of sneaky tricks by some of its competitors. It has been chased down King Edward Parade by an enraged pig called Francis, in circumstances that to this day are unclear.
But when the hammer came down and dented The Speculator’s fragile psychic defences, or it felt robbed of its raisin date stress, (whatever that is, but people keep mentioning it) The Speculator’s coterie of dedicated readers has invariably come to the rescue.
Boadicca, Bond, GB, JL, Matilda, SaraJ, Wellygoggles, Gladys, Ruth, Prue and many others have kept the site alive and fun with their wry, witty or just plain dumb comments.
So – how has the site fared out there, in that great aether we call the Interflap?
Here are some dull numbers to give you a feel;
– Just under a quarter of a million page views. Yes – 218,678 to be precise. Advertisers, come flock to The Speculator’s door.
– Almost 20,000 different people have visited the site; 19,745 to be precise, the vast majority of whom are Devonport or North Shore-based, with a healthy sprinkling of people in the UK.
– In the last month, the site’s traffic has dramatically improved – by around 30%.
– 647 articles have been published
– 1089 comments have been published. Amazingly, only two have been negative; one was from an insipid TV geek from overseas who objected to The Speculator describing the TV series Power Rangers as the worst ever made; the other from someone who objected to the “piggy humour” in a recent article. To be clear: The Speculator has two acknowledged character flaws. One could be described as a penchant for the porcine. (The other was surgically removed).
Thank you all for your support; and thanks also to The Speculady, Lozza, the Hound, Sawsk, Zogs, Shezza, Goina, Lord de Lisle and the Ears of the East. To you all – Boomshanka!
Finally – a big thank you to our most loyal advertisers; Lode Jewellery and Art By The Sea.