Town Centre Tidy Up, a wonderful success.
On Saturday afternoon 80 keen volunteers assembled at Windsor Reserve to be part of the Town Centre Tidy Up, a community event to prepare Devonport for the thousands of visitors who will soon be visiting us.
People were split into various groups and allocated specific jobs;
- Weeding garden beds and planting new ones around the Clarence St / New World carpark.
- Washing building frontages, scraping off the posters from power boxes, sweeping and raking
- Picking up rubbish and inorganic matter from around the town centre
- Painting park benches and a few power boxes
- Installing over 700 metres of bunting. We would like to acknowledge the tremendous job the Alex Coburn and his team of 7 builders, from QPC Builders, did in fixing all of the bunting in place, it wouldn’t have happened without them. Thank you guys.
The event was promoted and arranged by the Devonport Business Association in conjunction with Maire Vieth from the Devonport Peninsula Trust and organized by the team at the Kaipataki Project. James Luty did a wonderful job coordinating everything.
Musicians had been asked to come and perform along mainstreet and we had a wonderful assortment of talented individuals keeping everyone entertained.
The afternoon concluded with a barbecue at the park and an opportunity to share stories. Perhaps this is the beginning of an annual Devonport Spring Clean.
– Eddie de Heer, President, DBA.