The repair and construction work that has begun around Victoria Rd is related to the $66k signed off by the Devonport Takapuna Local Board at its June 7 meeting. This included work on the following;
– Upgrades on Victoria Rd Main Street and Waterfront Reserves
– Improved filtration of Water fountain
– Upgrade street frontage and gardens
– Improve turf areas adjacent to ferry arrival
– Interpretive signage for Moreton Bay Fig tree
The work on Clarence St is a separate project; this is the $250k Clarence St upgrade project which was approved after public consultation earlier this year.
If the number seems big for what is essentially a couple of traffic calming measures and some paving, the council officials at the public consultation informed The Speculator that this was due to the cost of the bluestone kerbing. There is clearly a price to pay for living in a heritage area.